You would agree that vegetarian recipes do not only taste delicious but are nutritional as well. When it comes to cooking a veg dish, I always prefer cooking rice. Do you know why? Because rice recipes don’t take time and also offer several health benefits. For instance, brown rice is loaded with minerals and vitamins like vitamin B1, B2, and dietary fiber. It is an excellent source of carbohydrates and provides the necessary energy required by the body.
I am not an expert at cooking, but I try my hands at cooking new recipes every weekend. Recently, I tried making vegetable pulao at home, and unexpectedly, it tasted delicious.
Vegetable pulao craved me more after I read that veg biryani and veg pulao are completely different dishes. Don’t get me wrong, but I thought they were the same (Okay! that’s my BAD).
I researched a bit about this and read that the word pulao came from Sanskrit word “pulaka” or “Pulla” (meaning rice & vegetables). Also, Vegetable Pulao and Vegetable Biryani have nearly the same ingredients, but the way they are prepared is entirely different. Don’t forget to read the BONUS TIP that I have shared at the end of the post.
Veg Pulao and Veg Biryani Are Not The Same
Earlier, I used to think that Vegetable pulao and Vegetable Biryani are the same. Later, I got to know that veg pulao is made by frying the ingredients (rice and vegetables ) together. Whereas, in Veg Biryani, rice and vegetables are partially cooked. Rice is fried in the ghee and is layered in a handi, next vegetables are layered, and again boiled rice is added at the top. Also, biryani is cooked on a low flame.
Now you know the difference between the two, what you are waiting for? Let’s make delicious vegetable pulao tonight.
- 3tbsp double refined oil
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Peppercorn 4
- 3-4 Bay leaves
- a cup of finely chopped onion
- 2tbsp ginger garlic paste
- half-cup chopped tomato
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- half cup finely chopped carrot
- half cup boiled peas
- one-fourth cup beans (optional)
- Cauliflower ½ cup chopped
- chopped potato
- 1/2tbsp chopped mint
- Chopped coriander
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 4 cups of water 4 cups
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2tbspn Garam Masala powder
- 1tbsp of Lemon Juice
Steps to make Vegetable Pulao
- Heat ghee or oil in a stainless steel cooker.
- Add onions and cook them until they turn golden.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and stir the mix for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add tomato and green chilies.
- Now add Bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves, and cook them for 30 to 45 seconds.
- The next step is to add the vegetables that you have already chopped.
- As per your taste, add rice, water, garam masala, and lemon juice.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook the rice until the water is absorbed.
- Veg pulao is ready to serve. But before you serve, garnish it with coriander, with dry fruits.
BONUS TIP: To make it more appealing, serve pulao with raita and papad.
Yay! you are done! So, when you are cooking this yummy vegetable pulao? AHa! Don’t forget to share your delicious veg pulao picture below.