When it comes to a Punjabi Dish how can you forget Dal Makhani? isn’t it? This Punjabi cuisine is cooked with cream and butter and tastes delicious anytime. I feel it is mandatory for Indians to keep Dal as one dish on the table. Doesn’t matter whether you are having lunch or dinner, Dal is a must-eat-recipe along with chapati or naan. Do you agree?
Whether it is a dal tadka, dal fry, chana dal, or dal makhani one or the other dal recipe has to be ordered when you are in a restaurant. But currently, when restaurants are not open and also you can’t have this yum dal anywhere, why not make this delicious Dal Makhani recipe at home? Good idea! I guess this is the best time when you can enjoy Dal Makhani at home.
So let us see the secret and steps to make Dal Makhani recipe in less than 25 minutes.
- 2-3tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 3/4th cup soaked whole urad dal (black lentils)
- 1/4th cup soaked kidney beans (rajma)
- 2 tomatoes / 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1-½ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- Bay leaves
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp green chili (chopped)
- 1tsp red chili powder
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 1/2tsp Nutmeg powder
- Water (as required)
- Kasuri methi (for garnishing)
- Pinch of sugar (optional)
- Cream (whipped cream or homemade malai)
Instructions To Make Dal Makhani Recipe
- Rinse urad dal and rajma with water and add them in a pressure cooker. Add 3-4 cups of water and heat them for 20 mins on high or medium flame. Cook them until they turn soft. (you can also mash kidney beans with a spoon to check its softness)
- In a pot (use a heavy pot if possible), add butter and ghee. Heat it on low flame and then add spices (bay leaves, cardamom, cloves) to it. Saute them for few minutes.
- Now add chopped onions to the pot and stir them well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and green chilies to make a paste.
- Add tomato puree and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- At this stage, add nutmeg and red chili powder.
- Saute the mix for 5-7 minutes on low flame.
- Add soaked kidney beans and lentils to the pot.
- Add water as required.
- Stir the dal well and let it cook for the next 20-25 minutes. Stir it in intervals.
- When it starts to get thicken, then add salt and continue it to simmer on low flame.
- The most important and mouth-watering step is here. Add cream and stir the dal well. Switch off the flame. Garnish Dal Makhani with Kasuri methi when you serve.
Bonus Tips To Make Scrumptious Dal MakhaniBonus Tips To Make Scrumptious Dal Makhani
- Make sure that you soak rajma (kidney beans) and urad dal overnight. By doing so, they will take less time to cook.
- The more time you will cook daal, the tastier it will be. So, better try to cook dal Makhani for at least 20-25 mins at low flame.
- Add more cream and butter for nice and fresh flavor. You can add a mix of cream and butter time by time at frequent intervals.
- Use whole spices for a unique and better taste. It is usually seen, when we prepare sabzi like or butter paneer masala at home, then we rarely use whole spices. But experts suggest using whole spices in sabzi for a spicy and yum flavor.
A Simple Secret to Make Dal Makhani Like Restaurant at Home
If possible, use a charcoal smoking technique to make Dal Makhani. This is the SECRET that not many people know about this yummy dish. The chefs in the restaurant use this technique for a beautiful aroma that attracts the foodies (I am one of them).
For charcoal technique, take charcoal and allow it to heat on the flame until it turns hot. Keep the hot charcoal in a bowl and pour ½ tbsp of oil on it. As soon as it begins to smoke, place the bowl into the daal, and cover it with a lid. Allow it to stand for 1-2 mins. The charcoal will infuse its smoke in the daal and would enhance its flavor.
Do you know Dal Makhani is also known as Maa Di Dal? Whatever! Just enjoy this delicious recipe whenever you have a party or crave for something tempting and exotic.
If you are hosting a party, then you can also serve vegetable soup as a starter. And then dal Makhani with naan and veg kolhapuri in the main course.
Have you ever tried making Dal Makhani at home? How did it taste? Drop your comments below.
To get Veg Recipes in Hindi, Health & Fitness Tips, Must Visit Travelling Places and Lifestyle Tips, follow and like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.