Are you wondering what to prepare for dinner tonight? Also, looking for the recipes that would not take much of your time, but should be mouthwatering? I can help you out. Yesterday, I was wondering why not I should try making recipes at home that we usually order in a restaurant. So, I tried something exotic and mouth-watering. Do you know what did I prepared for dinner? I made veg-kolhapuri yesterday. This veg kolhapuri recipe is wholesome and affordable too, as it doesn’t require expensive ingredients like Manuka honey and La Bonnette potatoes (50,000 per kg).
It is a popular Maharashtra cuisine and is a perfect treat for any occasion. It has vegetable red curry and coconut-based gravy. It is served with kulcha, rice, and nan. Sounds delicious? Yes. Do you know how to make veg kolhapuri? No! Without further ado, let us find out how this amazingly delicious treat can be prepared at home.
Ingredients Required to Make Kolhapuri Gravy
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds (til)
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds/watermelon seeds
- 2 tbsp coconut (you can take fresh or dry coconut)
- black pepper/kali mirch (as per taste)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin (jeera)
- 1 cinnamon (dalchini)
- Garlic and red chili paste
- 1 Tomato
- 4 to 5 fenugreek seeds
- 1 grated nutmeg (javitri)
- 1 cardamom
- 6 – 7 pieces of Cashew nuts
- Kashmiri Red Chilli
- 1 medium tej patta (Indian bay leaf)
Ingredients You Will Need to Make Veg Kolhapuri
- 1/2 medium-sized potato
- 1/4th cup french Beans,
- 1/2 cup cauliflower
- 1/3rd cup Green Peas (fresh/frozen)
- 1/2cup carrot, cut into thick pieces
- 1/3rd cup sliced bell pepper (capsicum) – about 1 medium bell pepper (green or yellow or red)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 5 – 6 garlic cloves + ginger (make a paste)
- Coriander (for garnishing)
- 1/2tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 cup paneer
- 2 tbsp fresh cream(optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt (as per taste)
How to Prepare Veg Kolhapuri Gravy
- Dry roast the spices (coriander seeds, cumin, black peppers, cardamom, and other dry ingredients) in a pan.
- Now add coconut, sesame, and poppy seeds. Dry roast till coconut turns brown.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes, and then grind the mixture.
- Make a fine paste by adding a few drops of water.
- Take a pan and add oil to it. Now add onions and saute until they turn golden brown.
- Now add tomatoes, red chili, and turmeric powder. Make sure that you add ingredients on a medium flame. Let it cook for 5 minutes. Mix salt at this stage.
- Give it a nice stir until you see oil leaving the pan. Wow! The gravy part is done.
Next Few Steps to Give Veg Kolhapuri Recipe a Final Touch
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan.
- Add boiled peas, potatoes, chopped cauliflower, french beans, capsicum, carrot, paneer, and salt as per taste. Mix all the ingredients and saute them on a medium flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix the gravy (Kolhapuri) that you prepared above. Stir it continuously.
- Add a cup of water.
- Add fresh cream if you have (you can also add milk and butter).
- Cook the mix on a medium flame for 5 minutes. Make sure that you stir the gravy continuously.
- Off the flame when you find gravy becoming thick. Yay! Your Veg Kolhapuri is good to go. Don’t forget to garnish it with coriander before you serve it to your guests.
Bonus Tip: Use dry coconut as it enhances the flavor of gravy. Also, make sure that you add all the ingredients on a medium flame for a better taste.
Tell me, will you try this recipe at home?